Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day 2: A Couple of Show-Offs

Our reading last night was “Day 2: You are not an Accident”. It had some good stuff in it and I will share two things:

FIRST:
“God prescribed every single detail of your body (Thanks for those love handles, Lord!). He custom-made your body just the way he wanted it. He also determined the natural talents you would possess and the uniqueness of your personality.”

SECOND:
God’s motive for creating you and me was His Love.

Ephesians 1:4a (Msg)
“Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love…”

The question to ponder on was this: Out of everything God created you to be, what personality trait, background, or appearance do you still struggle to accept?

If anyone knows Nathaniel, you know that he is a musical genius. He can simply pick up any instrument and immediately sound like he’s been playing it for years. And he can create the most beautiful songs you have ever heard in literally minutes. But the one thing he struggles to accept is that God did not create him to sing.

In my case, I love clothes and fashion. Not obsessively like Nathaniel loves music, but I have fun with it just the same. But I have long ago had to accept the fact that I wasn’t built like those tall, skinny models (or my beautiful best friend, Britt!) who, at least in pictures, look great in everything they put on. When I go shopping, I have to stop and think, “Does this make me look short and stubby? Does this bring out my good qualities or the ones I prefer to hide?” Come on, ladies, you all know what I’m talking about!

Nathaniel and I decided the reason God didn’t provide us what we wish we had was because we are a pair of SHOW-OFFS!

After Nathaniel and I talked about those two issues, we decided if Nathaniel had the gift of singing, he would be a rock star by now who only depended on himself (and I think he would have probably found one of those models I was referring to back in the paragraph above and have married her at the age of 19). :) We decided if God had made me tall and super skinny, I would probably not dress as modestly as I do, and I would have moved to California and permanently worn bikinis every day of my life.

We laughed a lot about how different our lives would have been, but in all seriousness, if Nathaniel and I had these “gifts” we both think we want, our lives would be completely different. I know Nate and I compliment each other perfectly, and it’s crazy to think that because of those two minor things, we could have easily not been each others ‘type’ or ever had the chance to look in each others’ direction.

So here is what I learned:

It’s incredible to realize God’s perfect plan for us is so detailed... right down to our vocal chords and height/weight. Reading this really made me thankful I am how I am.

I hope you can see those ‘flaws’ that you see in your own lives and realize they are actually blessings.

And just for fun, here are two pictures of Nathaniel and me doing the things we love. ENJOY! :)

No comments: